So you want to do something with Ruby but think there’s not much you can do? Rubbish!
Below is a list of just 7 things you can do with Ruby.
- Name your daughter or puppy Ruby – Peter Cooper reports that Ruby has become the 4th most popular name in the UK! Dan Kubb named his puppy Ruby.
- Draw Cartoons for Ruby – whytheluckstiff popularized Ruby with his excellent cartooning ability in his book Why’s (Poignant) Guide to Ruby.
- Become Famous using Ruby – Build a ‘killer’ application using Ruby like David Hansson did with ‘Ruby on Rails’.
- Write a book on Ruby – Bruce Tate, David Black, Hal Fulton, James Edward Gray II, Peter Cooper to name a few, have done it. If you have the knack and the knowledge, write one.
- Build a business around Ruby – Peerant amongst hundreds of other companies are doing it. Why not you?
- Have fun – My RubyLearning.com site’s motto is – ‘Ruby helps programmers have more fun…’ Why not?
- Blog about Ruby – And finally like me, if you have nothing better to do, blog about Ruby!
In conclusion: I could go on and on (and I probably will)…
Update: The 7 Things can easily become 10 or 25 or 50 Things -
- Teach Ruby – Like I do at the University level.
- Start a RUG – I started a Ruby User Group – PuneRuby. The experience has been satisfying.
- Monetize your Ruby site/blog – I use Google Adsense. Atleast it covers my domain and hosting costs!