Josh Software: Making its mark in Ruby on Rails

by Satish Talim on December 4, 2007

Pune is now increasingly becoming the hot-bed of Ruby on Rails activity in India and Josh Software Pvt. Ltd. are strongly making a mark in this field. Satish Talim of RubyLearning.com recently talked to Gautam Rege, one of the founders of this company.

Gautam Rege

Satish>> Could you tell us something about yourself – your background, where you are based?

Gautam>> I was born in India. I have been in Pune, one of the busiest IT hubs in India. I have done my computer engineering from Pune Institute of Computer Technology (PICT) and have passed out in the year 2000. After working for a few services based companies like Zensar and Cybage I got exposure to product companies like Veritas (now Symantec). It was always my aim to be self-employed and when I found the right partner in my friend Sethupathi Asokan, we both started Josh Software Pvt. Ltd. As is in India, you just have to love cricket. Sethu (as he is lovingly known as) and I played cricket for Veritas and the bond did not stop there. We went on to become good friends and now partners in business.

My father served in the Indian Army for 20 years before taking pre-mature retirement. He and my elder brother have started an environment friendly firm called Mailhem Engineers Pvt. Ltd. which has been working in the Waste Management area for the past 15 years. The determination and grit I have seen in my brother and father has greatly helped me in my software business.

Satish>> Could you tell us a little more about Josh Software Pvt. Ltd.?

Gautam>> Josh Software Pvt. Ltd. is a one and half year old company. We are primarily into software product development. This is quite a different area. We are neither a product company nor a services based company. We build software products for others. Our claim to our success has been our ideology: “You bring to the table your domain knowledge, we bring our software skills and together we build a software product”. Josh Software Pvt. Ltd. was earlier Josh Consultants Pvt. Ltd. but Sethu and felt to change our name to showcase our software development abilities.

We are based in Pune and have core skills in Ruby On Rails, .NET, C++ and Java. Given our personal work experience we have worked on virtually all UNIX, Linux and Windows platforms. Cross platform development is our forte and we aspire to be one of the top software product development companies in India.

Satish>> Why did you choose Ruby on Rails (RoR) as a framework?

Gautam>> Ironically, we did not choose RoR; RoR chose us! For a major part of our career, Sethu and I had both been exposed to the traditional languages and frameworks. Having worked with functional languages like C and object oriented languages like Java, C++, Python came as a revelation to me. The concept of an object oriented scripting language fascinated me. Ruby was still not in the picture until a couple of years back when we were building our first product. Judging the very tight deadline to get the product done, we started turning our heads towards new emerging web frameworks. There was RoR, which we adopted and have not fallen ‘out of love’ since then!

The open source world, the seamless coding of Ruby and the ease of use, drove us crazy. I preach that if one writes about 100 lines in C, it can be done in about 50 lines in Perl and about 25 lines in Python. But Ruby could well do it in 15 lines. This is not based on any theoretical or practical grounds but simply based on my personal experience in using these various languages.

Satish>> Were there any surprises in working with RoR?

Gautam>> What would be an open source tool / language without surprises? Surprisingly there were very few in Ruby. However, after getting familiar with newer and newer Rails plugins like ActiveScaffold, I did find some unknowns, some surprises and some bugs. Lack of documentation was sometimes frustrating but the lean mean and simple Ruby code of the ActiveScaffold plugin, put our doubts to rest. There is still some way to go in RoR core APIs too, but at the pace it’s moving it will be only a matter of time before it becomes the de-facto tool for web development (unless it already has!)

Satish>> Getting back to Josh Software, what are your future plans?

Gautam>> We plan to expand our horizon into various industry sectors. Currently we have been developing products in the Financial, Engineering, Medical and IT sectors. We do intend to drive RoR into these sectors with more vigor. We are also building our own Medical Software in the Critical Care domain for which I do ask you to stay tuned.

Thank you Gautam for taking out time from your busy schedule and talking to us.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Anurana December 6, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Looks like Gautam and his team are onto the technology of the “now” and “future”. Ruby on rails is however still in the cupboards and not mainstream in terms of awareness.. or am I the one who has been missing things out..
Rubylearning is a good step in giving visibility to RoR and to young teams like Josh…More needs to be done though to give RoR it’s right place of pride in the SW hall of fame…

Ranjit Bandal January 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm

We visit your website regularly. We also attended the lecture of Mr. Gautam Rege Sir in VIIT, Baramati. I am also a student of VIIT doing my MCM 1st year.

I am inspired by your speech. Thank you!

Gautam Rege January 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Ranjit – I am happy that my talk was helpful.

Your college has excellent facilities and I am sure you all do make the most of it.

Amit Kumar March 16, 2010 at 2:07 am

After sitting on the net for a long time, I found Josh Software Pvt. Ltd. as a good company for the career growth. I’d like to apply here Gautam. I have 2 years of exp. in ROR and overall 4.7 years. Pls let me know through my email id (amitbaraik@gmail.com) if i can get any opportunity there.

Gautam Rege March 19, 2010 at 11:19 am

Hi Amit,
We encourage people with ‘josh’ to join us. We shall be in touch!

Ashutosh Nayak December 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I am a second year student of IIT Kharagpur,department of industrial engineering and management.I just have completed my course of 3rd semester which had ruby programming language under information systems.Ruby programming language is elegant and has aroused my interest in it.Looking that you encourage joining,i wish to do a summer intern of two months with you.Please inform if you have such provision for internships.
Thank You.

Gautam Rege December 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hi Ashutosh,
Good to see your ‘josh’ ;) Do let us know details on internship. You are most welcome to do your internship at Josh.

Cheers!
- Gautam

Ashutosh Nayak December 10, 2010 at 7:54 pm

My Semester 4 ends at april so from april to june I may join you in completing some project that will help me in my future endeavors and also be helpful for Josh Softwares.

Gautam Rege December 11, 2010 at 7:20 am

Sure! Please contact us a month in advance, so we can plan accodingly.

Cheers!
Gautam

Ashutosh Nayak December 11, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Will try my best.

arvind singh June 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Hi ..
I am arvind singh. I am working in RoR. it’s been only 11 months and i am looking forword. I am still in learning phase and want some challenging work so that i can learn more. SO just wanted to know do you give the chance to the freshers in ruby on rails.

Gautam Rege October 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

Arvind,
At Josh, we don’t care about education qualification, marks, age, experience – we look at only one thing – potential (to learn, to research, to persevere).

If you think you are a right fit, do contact us. Some pointers:
- Send us your github profile.
- Send us information about some program you have written – for yourself only (not for any assignment in college).
- What do you read? (technical stuff) which blog sites?
- What are your extra curricular activities.