Can you help RubyLearning with your suggestions?

by Satish Talim on November 15, 2008

New Course Offerings

We’re rapidly expanding our course offerings here at RubyLearning, trying to keep up with the enormous and ever-growing interest in Ruby. But we need your YOUR help because, as you know, Ruby is a big subject, and we’d like to be sure to focus in on the areas of most interest to you.

A Note regarding the courses mentioned in the poll below:

• Ruby Testing and TDD: (starting from the concepts of testing in general, Test::Unit and other tools are discussed. RSpec is not discussed. Suited for people trying to code test code.)
  • Ruby GUI: (GUI programming. Which library do you recommend – Shoes, FXRuby?)
  • Ruby: Git and GitHub: (A short course where you study Git and GitHub. Basic operations are discussed. Publishing a gem using GitHub.)
  • Ruby & SQLite3 database: (Learn SQLite3 using Ruby. Beneficial for those who already know another database and for those are relatively new to database itself.)
  • JRuby: This course is already available, but wanted to check whether you want it.
  • Merb: This is becoming very popular in the community.

Please take a moment to complete a brief poll about the new course offerings we’re considering. Also, please post your suggestions as comments to this blog post. It won’t take more than a minute or two.

THE POLL IS NOW CLOSED

Technorati Tags: , , ,

G. Kopel November 17, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I’d go for Git and GitHub as well as Testing/TDD courses mainly because they are strongly related with Rails framework and this is what I plan to explore a lot.

Gregory.

Daniel Kotowski November 17, 2008 at 9:34 pm

I’d like to participate above all in two of six courses: JRuby and TDD.

I’ve chosen JRuby because nowadays Java language is considered as really common language. By joining Ruby and Java we are armed with the most powerful tool to develop any kind of application in flexible way.

I’ve also chosen Ruby testing with TDD coz this is the most useful way to developing applications. This kind of coding provides that resultant applications are created with limited amount of bugs. It also help with stretching them with little effort. Our applications are scalable and expandable.

regards
DK

Bill Froelich November 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I think the Testing /TDD course would be the most beneficial. Too many programmers don’t write tests at all or if they do it is always an afterthought. Those same programmers are the ones who typically have the most bugs in their code as well. Can’t say for sure there is a correlation but more tests is never a bad thing if they can be run automated.

Atif November 18, 2008 at 3:29 am

I like ‘em all but my first choice would be testing and test-driven development. I would like to follow a structured approach towards learning software development with Ruby. I am not sure if this is already in place, but it would be nice to see a planned program of courses to take. Kind of like what you see on Sun and Microsoft websites for their certification processes.

Jason Neely November 18, 2008 at 4:20 am

This may sound overly basic and mundane, but I’d like to see a primer on how to grok the API docs.

For example, I installed the rails gem ar_mailer, which spools outgoing email into a table named ‘Email’. But my app already had a table named Email. The ar_mailer API has a solution for that:

Public Class methods

email_class=(klass)
Sets the email class for deliveries.

Some web scouring yields this nugget about email_class:

# File lib/action_mailer/ar_mailer.rb, line 75

def self.email_class
@@email_class

Which is nothing more than the source code for @@email_class. That’s all fine and well, but how does that show me where to set @@email_class in my application? As it turns out, the way to do it is to add a line to config/environment.rb

ActionMailer::ARMailer.email_class = NewEmailClassName

Even knowing the API and the solution, I still can’t work backwards to see how one gets from A to B. How does the API point me to setting the new class in environment.rb? Granted this is a rails specific question, but I think it applies to a lot of the docs.

Carlan Calazans November 18, 2008 at 6:17 am

Ruby Testing and TDD (59%, 220 Votes) until now, did not suprised me, but Ruby Gui at 2nd place? Come on! There is a lot a books/tutorials about this and i do not have to mention the fxruby introduction on POIRPWDC101-1I. BTW, if you understood the concepts about fxruby, it is a big step to GTK.

I am really curious about Merb :)

Rimpy November 19, 2008 at 5:38 am

I voted for Ruby and Testing. Well i went thourgh the basic cource offering by rubylearning.com. But couldn’t continue my practice on ruby because of work load. I want to go for next coming batch for basic ruby.
Thanks to satish for this excellent ruby learning source.

Marcos Ricardo November 19, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Hi Folks,

I have voted for GUI, Merb and Git / GitHub.

The one I voted and would like to justify:

“GUI” – Shoes is Cool, but we need to run our programs FROM it, and that is not an option for me.

The ones I don’t and would like to justify:

“SQLite” – I don’t think we need a course here, may be an extra lesson on the core Ruby course.

“Testing and TDD” – I think we must focus on applying BDD with Cucumber and implement tests with RSpec.

Regards.

Bharath November 20, 2008 at 10:31 am

I want to thank Mr. Satish Talim for this nice site on Ruby.
I like all the options but to be specific I want to learn Merb, RUBY Testing. My main intention is to become an expert in RUBY.I hope i will get consistent support from Satish Talim & his Group in fulfilling my intention.

Bharath

Matheus Zingarelli November 20, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I see testing has already been a big issue in big companies and I really think this is very important in any programming course.

Rhyhann December 2, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I personally think that version control with Git (including community forks and so) are very important, because it’s the only way to master the code.
Merb should also be taken, because no framework fits all of your needs, and Rails is a framework.
Gui is also good, because although we spend a lot of time in the Internet, we have some other programs in our computer, and then other things to develop. I prefer Shoes, because it’s lightweight and more beautiful than FXRuby, and it also integrates with Merb.
Ruby & SQLite is not very important, because ORMs do that, and TDD is slowly being replaced by BDD.