Let The World Know Who YOU Are!

by Satish Talim on October 15, 2010

Let The World Know Who YOU Are!

I am connected with awesome people across the globe thanks to my RubyLearning sites and social networking websites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.

I would love to learn about what you do. Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us more about yourself. Feel free to talk about your job or business and promote yourself here.

Let us know in the comments section of this post. Remember, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar! Thanks for stopping by again!

Hat Tip: Angela Paige.

Muhammad Mahmoud October 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for this great idea :)

- I’m an Egyptian senior web applications developer at Fixed-Solutions company. In this role, I’m a part of a team providing all aspects of the most reliable, cost-effective, secure IT solutions, including comprehensive managed security services .
- I support open source technologies.

- I hold a technical school diploma in computer programming degree from Advanced Technical School for Information Technology – 2010 class [3]

- I’m no stranger to web development or computer programming, having spent more than 3 years hands-on experience in web-based applications and RIA software development, with MVC Approach. Recently, specializing in developing web applications for Network Monitoring, and Network Security Systems .

- I’m in love with PHP, CodeIgniter, Doctrine, jQuery and ExtJs.

Satish Talim October 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Muhammad, that’s nice to hear. Which city of Egypt are you based in?

Muhammad Mahmoud October 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Thanks Satish.
Cairo .. the Capital
Hope to see you soon in Egypt :)

Pedro Mariano October 15, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Nice initiative!

I’m from Sao Paolo – Brazil, and I work as a teacher and a Java/Ruby consultant at Caelum, a school that offers courses on Java, Ruby, Agile and UX.

Besides that I’m one of the Chief Editor for InfoQ Brasil. InfoQ has become famous since its foundation in the US and I have the challenge to maintain and provide similar content here in Brazil. We from InfoQ Brazil are very glad to tell the world that we did our first QCon in Brazil and it was a grand success (around 700 attendees).

During the day I teach, read a lot of articles, papers, and others stuff about IT, do some programming activities those mainly using Ruby and Java and I try to involve myself in open source projects.

Nowadays, Java and Ruby are the languages that I’m focused on.

Satish Talim October 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Very interesting. Over 35% of the participants at RubyLearning are from Brazil.

Niyazi Ates October 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Hello Satish,

Let me introduce myself. I’m from Yalova (near Istanbul) in Turkey. I am 42 years old, married and have two sons (age 14 and 2.5). My graduation is in Food Engineering in 1991. The last 5 years I am interested in computers especially algorithm and programming. As a hobby I like writing different algorithms with different languages (like Ruby, C++, Java, VBasic). I met Ruby in 2006. Now I am a Univ. student at the dept. of Computer programming for the last 2 years. 2011 will be my last year. My future projects are:
1- learning Ruby
2- learning ROR
3- online teaching Ruby to Turkish programmers (also to children)
4- become a volunteer at a Ruby conf. org. in Turkey.
5- making some Ruby appl. with GUI’s (like Qt4 , Tcl /Tk…)
6- after graduation continue to do MS (master of science) as my academic career.

Satish Talim October 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Do you know when the Ruby Conf. in Turkey is scheduled for?

niyazi ates October 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I think it takes 1-2 years as there are not enough people related with Ruby or ROR in Turkey. To help increase the awareness of Ruby in Turkey, I translates Chris Pine’s tutorial “Learn to program” into Turkish. Maybe next year we can organize a Ruby seminar on a domestic scale with open source comminities (like “özgürlük için” (means “for freedom”)). This community gave a two day seminar on open source software, 2 days ago (unfortunately I could not attend). Someone gave an introduction to ROR appls.) Then the international Ruby conf. will come to Turkey, I hope.

Blag October 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm

My name is Alvaro Tejada Galindo, but most people know me as “Blag”, I’m a Peruvian Senior ABAP Consultant (SAP) living in Montreal, Canada and working for Beyond Technologies. I’m also a SAP Mentor, blogger and Cartoonist (I don’t draw the cartoons but write the text, you can check my work at http://blagbert.blogspot.com.

I’m also a Punk guy who enjoys videogames and book reading (mostly programming books).

I started programming almost 13 years back and love scripting languages like Ruby, PHP and Flex.

For Ruby, I love to work with Sinatra and WxRuby. I’m not really a Rails fun. While I’m somehow good at Ruby, I would like to re-learn it from scratch, because everyday I discover how great language Ruby is…

Satish Talim October 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

The cartoons are interesting.

Manoj Mathai October 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Hi Satish, I’m Manoj.
A Programmer by profession, working @ Pune.
Currently involved in Java, webby stuff.
Love Javascript and Ruby. Interested in Clojure, Scala. Not a big fan of Java.
Atheist, Skeptic, Cynic, Realist, wannabe-minimalist.
Interested in Science, Technology, Philosophy, Religion, Human/Animal Behavior.
Insiatiable thirst for knowledge and experience.
I tweet a lot.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 6:30 am

It’s a shame we haven’t met yet. Let’s meet at the Rails meetup next month.

Manoj Mathai October 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

Haven’t done any Rails actually (except a hello world tutorial long back) :) Want to take a look at Rails 3 sometime. Infact I’ve written very little Ruby, but I’ve enjoyed writing it.

Chandra Challa October 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I am a programing language nerd, having coded in C, C++, C#, JAVA, PHP, LOGO, Shell, Awk, Pascal, HTML, XML, CSS, Ruby, Assembly as well as in esoteric languages like BrainFuck and LOLCODE. I am a supporter of Linux, Agile development and Open source. Networking & Information security, Mobile Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Web trends, and Osho-philosophy fuel his brain 24/7. I am also a final year engineering student at Maharashtra Academy of Engineering, Pune, India and as of now I do my daily coding in Ruby/Rails and Flash/Flex.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 6:31 am

Impressive array of languages that you have worked on.

Tousif Baig October 15, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Hey,

I’m Tousif Baig from India pursuing my engineering degree in Computer Science. I am good at C, C++, Java and learning Ruby, ROR. New to Java and Ruby, to be true, I find Java pretty much interesting. Haven’t done much in ROR yet. Looking forward to master Java, Ruby and PHP.

I do a lot of web programming stuff related to WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and Magento. I have got lots of my sites ranking pretty good on google for some heavy keywords. My expertise is in search engine optimization. I am learning new languages to automate a big part of my SEO work.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 6:32 am

Which part of India are you based in?

Tousif Baig October 16, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I am from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.

Christoph Grabo October 15, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Hello,

I’m Chris from Berlin, Germany and 28 years old. In WWW mostly writing as “asaaki” (private; blog: mannaz.cc) or “blogcrafter” (blogging topics; blogcraft.de). I work for an online marketing company. I like web design and development.

I never studied programming, development or design in school or university. I try to learn interesting things autodidactically.

Actually I try to develop a new blog system/CMS with multi site and i18n features. You can visit the project site: http://pressure-cms.com/.

Yeah, I know, their are lots of solutions outside in the world, and also it’s easy to build such webapps with Ruby/Rails in days. But think about normal users, who can’t develop (and don’t want to). Like Wordpress and Co. it’s useful to give an alternative software (and maybe later a bloghosting service).

I started learning Ruby nearly 2 years ago, but haven’t spent much time. Since 3 weeks I am trying to use the Rails 3 framework and realized, that’s not so bad as I thought formerly. Also I think, that Sinatra and the Padrino framework (based on Sinatra) is a good solution for small webapps.

Next to Ruby/Rails development I use Wordpress and PHP, developed 2 plugins for this system and have another project in my queue. But since I found Ruby I don’t like PHP anymore. :-)

Another point are databases: I like the NoSQL DBs (MongoDB/CouchDB especially), because for lots of tasks their might be more useful than the relational based systems.

As a last point: I hope, my English is not too bad and everybody can understand. (Apologies concerning language skills seem to be a very german habit ;o)

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 6:35 am

Just yesterday somebody on Twitter mentioned that Berlin is now the “hot-bed” in Germany for Ruby on Rails. Is that true?

Christoph Grabo October 18, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hm, can’t really say nor confirm. But if we trust the internet and what is published, I’ll say, that -for Germany- Berlin seems to be a center of Ruby/Rails development. (But in general lots of internet related stuff and companies have their home here.)

Another interesting fact is that Ruby became famous in the last 2 – 3 years. I think that was due to the heavy usage of the Rails framework (which is really easy and usable with version 3).

So, if someone wants to make money with Ruby/Rails development in Germany, he/she has to hurry up! ;o)

I think in the next 5 years, Ruby CAN be one of the most famous programming languages, way ahead of PHP. But we need more hosting services with native support for Ruby/Rails applications. Unfortunatelly I believe, Germany is in the Stone Age of web development (regarding to hosting solutions).

So, now that was not only an introduction of myself but an opinion of the actual situation of my country.

Kiran October 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Hey, this is Kiran Narasareddy. I am from Pune, India.

I just completed my BTech in IT from COEP in May, this year. I am part of a startup, namely “Amura Marketing Technologies Pvt. Ltd”, which we started off in May last year.

I am a Developer by passion. My first love is Java. I am working with Hibernate, Rule-Engines, Single-SignOn Integrations. Lately, I have been in love with Ruby (thanks to Satish Sir and RubyLearning.org).

I love watching English Action movies and Cartoons :)

And ya, I love going on long drives in my Swift car.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 6:36 am

Ah! COEP. I passed out from there in 1978 (Electrical Engg) and then changed tracks!

Kiran October 16, 2010 at 8:20 am

Glad I did take part in this cool initiative of yours Sir. Getting to know lots of awesome people. Thanks:)

Reese Hodge October 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I took the RubyLearning class in order to learn Ruby so that I could better understand and develop websites using RubyOnRails. I live in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho USA and work as a contractor at AdvantageIQ in Spokane, Washington USA. I’ve been programming professionally for about 12 years mostly with Microsoft technologies. Currently most of my work is done in C# although after learning Ruby I’m hooked. In my “spare” time I’m working on a website (http://github.com/quattro004/scratches) to manage my family’s recipes and hope to bring a first version of it online later this year. One day I would love to develop websites full time using RubyOnRails.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 6:39 am

Interesting. The next time I am in your city, I must remember to taste some of your family recipes. Any specialty?

Nick October 15, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Hey, I’m Nick Floyd from Dallas, Texas. I am the Architect @ Fellowship Technologies a SaaS. We most roll .Net apps (web, services, etc…).

I’ve been writing code for about 16 years (yes, I did use the “blink” tag on a site years ago).

I’m into all things API (mostly REST based).

Most recent API I created. My github work.

I started working with Ruby because we are changing the way our teams deliver software (i.e. Continuous Delivery) – doing our build scripts and ci scripts using Ruby.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:32 am

I represent Servient Inc. (in fact their subsidiary in Pune, India) a company based in Houston, TX.

Dave Aronson October 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I’m Dave Aronson, a software engineer in Fairfax, Virginia, US. For the past year I’ve been working mostly in Perl (which I’ve grown to hate) and a bit of Ruby (which I like, and use both on and off Rails), on Mac and Linux. However, my prior 24 years has mostly been in plain old C (a rut I’ve finally broken out of professionally, after learning lots of things on my own), plus occasional shell script, C++, Javascript, Python, Java, and assorted ancient languages, plus query/markup/etc. languages such as SQL, HTML, and XML, on Windows, Linux, VAX/VMS, and several more obscure systems. As of this very day, I’m leaving Comcast, to go work for Rosetta Stone, where I’ll be doing ActionScript and Flex — neither of which I knew much about, as of a week ago. :-) I’m also founding president of MARS (Mid-Atlantic Ruby Society), at http://mars.groupsite.com/.

As for other stuff… agnostic (but not pushy about it), interested in firearms, blog on personal excellence at http://dare2xl.com and on coding at http://codosaur.us, hardly tweet at all, and don’t have time to keep up on other people’s tweets or Facebook updates, nor play much video games. My two main timesinks these days are Toastmasters (http://toastmasters.org) and editing the newsletter for the local Mensa (http://mensa.org) chapter.

Neto Ataides October 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Hi you all,

I’m Henrique José Ataides Neto, as known as Neto, a student at UTFPR (sign for Federal Technological University of Paraná).
I’m 29yo Brazillian, from Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil.

I took part in RubyLearning to increase my Ruby skills just to learn Rails.

Yes, I’m a Rails enthusiast. But I feel like I’m walking in baby steps with this framework. And I mean not the agile baby steps, but the slow way I’m riding.

I’m going to take a course at e-genial (http://www.egenial.com.br) in Rails 3. It starts on November, 1st.

I am opening an Open Source Computing School in Curitiba (http://activeinfo.com.br) with some friends and my interests are Linux, particularly Ubuntu, and Rails.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:33 am

Good to hear that a lot of interest exists in Brazil for Ruby and Rails.

Chris Flor October 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Hi Satish,

Great to be here :)

My name is Chris. I am originally from Germany, but am based in Seattle, USA now, working as SDET (test engineer) for a phone call tracking company and we are using Ruby for our test automation.

I have worked with Java, C# and Perl in the past. From dabbling in Ruby, it seems fun, though I yet need to get comfortable with letting go of strong typing :)

I’m looking forward to the class at RubyLearning.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:34 am

I am sure you will have fun learning Ruby at RubyLearning. It’s important to be active at the forums there.

Pablo Lacerda de Miranda October 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I’m from Campinas, Brazil, working as a Software Engineerer at Ci&T Software. In the past I’ve been working with PHP and Java, developing software and web solutions for large number of clients.

I took your Ruby Course to add this tool on my developers toolbox. Ruby is a great language and I hope to use it on many projects.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:50 am

All the best with Ruby.

Ahmed Al-ajmi October 16, 2010 at 12:32 am

Hi Satish,

I’m Ahmed Al-ajmi from Egypt. A Self Learner. Passionate Front-end developer. I have a passion for JavaScript, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML5 and CSS3. I live all the day with my Text-Editor discovering the world of Ruby and all the good web stuff. I’m preparing to launch my own website (don’t click now, come here after 2 days and then click) http://ontwik.com/. OnTwik will provide the web community with the latest and best screencasts, lectures and conferences I also write on my blog http://cssah.blogspot.com/. Hope to read more about Ruby on RubyLearning.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:48 am

Looking forward to checking out your new site.

Ahmed Al-ajmi October 17, 2010 at 5:52 am

Check it now , it’s live .Enjoy it and share it. http://ontwik.com/

Roel October 16, 2010 at 12:41 am

Hi I’m Roel from the Netherlands.

I’m a senior Java developer right now, but I’m getting a little bit bored of Java. Since Oracle bought Sun, I think they’ll abuse Java to get their customers locked-in with their ‘shitty’ Oracle products. That’s why I have decided to change course to Ruby. I practiced some RoR, but I think it’s wise to get a stable base in Ruby and Rack first.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:53 am

Be in touch with Julio Javier Cicchelli a fantastic Ruby dude from Netherlands.

Jason L. Foreid October 16, 2010 at 4:17 am

Hi, my name is Jason, I’m 32 years old, and after several years of thinking I was an English major, I came to my senses about a year ago and am working towards my Computer Science degree in the hope of becoming a programmer. My first year of school taught me a bit about C++, and while taking a year off from school for financial reasons, I’m taking it upon myself to learn some Java, Ruby, C#, and Python. Right now I work for a local ISP as phone-based tech support but am hoping to eventually begin working for a local software development company.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 7:54 am

Jason, where are you based?

Roberta Soares October 16, 2010 at 8:45 am

I am Roberta from Sao Paulo – Brazil.
I have been developing desktop applications for over 10 years, and now need to enter the world. Of course I’ve done web Ruby for 6 months, but I still consider myself a beginner.

I need to develop web applications!
Thanks!

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 9:07 am

Before you try Rails, try Sinatra.

prakash October 16, 2010 at 8:58 am

Hi Satish. I am a technical consultant by profession, helping client deploy, design Cloud solutions. I worked at Microsoft for close to 5 years in Bangalore and Infosys for about 2 years. I am in Mumbai now and live with my parents. I am a fresher in Ruby. I was in Pune for 5 years and studied at N. Wadia College and Modern College Shivajinagar.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 9:09 am

Cloud solutions – very hot area now-a-days!

prakash October 16, 2010 at 9:13 am

Yeah, I agree, almost all vendors have their solutions for Cloud.

jonfernquest October 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hi, my name is Jon. Originally, from Palo Alto, California but working in universities in Asian countries for many years, like Korea and Thailand. Now I work for the Bangkok Post newspaper in Thailand creating English language learning materials. Recently, I used Ruby with lots of regular expression data munging to write a screen scraper program that takes vocabulary definitions from previous articles and recycles them for new articles. It enhances the productivity of writers like myself. I also wrote a registration and login program in PHP for the newspaper website. I was a programmer for 9 years after graduation (I also did 2 years of graduate work at Stanford in computer science but didn’t finish but it was very valuable). I have programmed in C, Java, Scheme, Fortran, Cobol/CICS/Mainframe assembly language, Cray Assembly language, Mathematica, SAS, Perl, Php, Python, Ruby and Tcl/Tk. I love programming languages, especially Scheme and Lisp and I also like learning human languages, the one that I find fascinating now is Arabic. The one I know the best is Burmese and I published a lot of papers on Burmese history at SOAS. I probably already gave too much info, sorry. The biographies on this page are great. Thanks. :)

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Jon, very impressive. Hopefully, we shall meet someday. Do you come to India?

Narendra Raju October 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I am Narendra from Bangalore.
I have been developing web applications using Java/J2EE. Also worked a bit on Flex. Started learning Ruby and ROR through Rubylearning.org and I am having fun.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Glad to know that you are liking Ruby.

Victor Goff October 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm

My name is Victor and I am a mentor at RubyLearning.org. I am located in the United States.

I have been helping out over there for the last 3 years, and have enjoyed every month of it.

As I don’t program professionally, it gives me opportunities to pair program (albeit remotely) with people from around the world, and at different levels of proficiency. It guarantees that something is always being learned.

And it also allows me to program using different tools that I would otherwise not have a reason to really dive into.

I recently helped to organize a Rails study group. it isn’t centralized, but we are using the same materials. Being remote from any other Rubyist, it helps to work on the same material as a group. Someday I hope to meet up with other Rubyists in person.

I walk quite a bit, and love the water, and someday want to return to the sub-tropics again. Or at least be able to go there occasionally to visit.

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Victor’s a big asset to RubyLearning.

Samnang October 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm

My name is Samnang Chhun, and 26 years old. I am from Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

I have been doing programming about 5 years, and my experiences are on banking system and web classified directory. Currently, I work as a software developer at Yoolk Inc. in Cambodia. I am a programmer that moved from my strong background in .NET(I got MCTS) to Ruby and Rails. I have been using Ruby and Rails for almost 2 years. Now, I really love Ruby. From my point of view, Ruby can make me get more understanding about OOP, more agile, and more productive.

I can speak and write in English, and my mother tongue is Khmer.
I have a lot of fun in joining communities, sharing ideas, and learning new technologies.

My blog: http://tech.wowkhmer.com

Marcos Ricardo October 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I’m Marcos Ricardo, a self-motivated web developer from Brazil.

I’m passionate about learning: concepts, methods techniques, and have using a pragmatic approach skill to put my learning into practice ASAP.

I have been following Satish’s efforts since 2006 (He is my Ruby guru), thanks for that my friend.

Since the beginning I have met an amazing group of people.

All the best to you all.

MarcRic

Satish Talim October 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Marcos.

Rajkumar October 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I am a newbie to Ruby……. I want to become a professional in Ruby on Rails !
I finished my B.Tech information technology this May 2010…..

I have been reading and analyzing the latest technology news from websites like http://www.techtree.com , http://www.gsmarena.com , Google technology news links , etc….. for more than 4 years from my high school…….
I have more basic knowledge in mobile phone technologies(both hardware and software ) , i have used windows (xp , vista ,7 )……i am an expert in windows PC maintenance…..
I have used Linux operating systems Ubuntu , Kubuntu , mint…….
I am also a biggest fan of apple products ( actually not owned any apple product, but i have used )……………Let me rock with ruby :)
Thanks in advance !my blog http://rajkumar49.blogspot.com

Enrique Tron October 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm

My name is Enrique Tron. I’m from Mexico, for the last 5 years I’ve been living in Puerto Rico, working as a Technology Manager in a consulting firm.

I started programming in 1984, so I have a long list of languages and technologies in my record… For the last 10 years I’ve been developing with .NET (mainly C#), and this last year with Java…

I’m always trying to learn new stuff, so I’m looking forward to learn Ruby, I’ve done some small stuff with RoR, but I want to learn more and be able to use it on a regular basis.

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 6:00 am

Welcome Enrique. I am confident that you will learn a lot of Ruby at RubyLearning. Do keep interacting on the forums with mentors like Victor Goff.

Alejandro González October 16, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hi, my name is Alejandro González. I’m a 28 years old software engineer from Chile, starting to learn Ruby after 10 years of Java programming. Since I’m a project manager I can’t get much into programming at my work place, so I started to learn to develop web apps with Ruby on Rails as a hobby :D

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 6:02 am

After years with Java, I am sure Ruby must have been a refreshing change.

Bernardo Galindo October 16, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Hi, I am from Colima Mexico. My name is Bernardo Galindo and I am web developer. I have coded web applications with Ruby on Rails, HTML5, JQuery.

I am a passionate about best practices and web performance. I love css, javascript and html and so I love HTML5.

For the backend I think that Ruby has a lot of things to offer.

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 6:03 am

Is Ruby a hobby or are you using it professionally?

Bernardo Galindo October 17, 2010 at 8:29 am

I have been using Ruby and Ruby on Rails for over a year. I am developing websites with Ruby on Rails for my current company, and I am a member of the Ruby group colima. We implement Ruby on differents systems.

Raghavendra Shet October 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I am from Mumbai, and located in Pune since last 10 Years; I completed my BE here and joined BetterLabs where I was always inspired by you and your Ruby knowledge. It was the Pune Rubymeet I attended and presented a speech on YSLOW; and then I saw my guru for the first time!

I work for Persistent Systems Ltd, right now and execute some enterprise development on RubyonRails. my sincere thanks to you my Guru, for bringing so great part of Ruby knowledge very handy for us.

I still read the Ruby online edition posted by you.

I believe that one day most companies will shift to Ruby and use all the superb knowledge base you have seeded in many a minds around the world. Finally special thanks for giving me an opportunity to express my gratitude to you and Long live Guru & Ruby.

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 6:05 am

Thanks. I am blushing!

(*^_^*)

Selasie Agbavor October 17, 2010 at 7:18 am

My name is Selasie Agbavor. I am a student of the University of Ghana. Currently I am pursuing computer science and mathematics. I have been programming in Ruby for three years now. I use Ruby mostly for Linux administration work. Also I program in Python too. I love to program as a hobby and I love to teach programming as well.

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 7:32 am

Ruby is being used in Africa too! That’s good news. Not much is heard about this and I am happy that you are using Ruby for 3 years now.

Ben Maddock October 17, 2010 at 7:32 am

Hi Everyone,
My name is Ben and I’m from Australia. I’ve worked mostly in Higher Education, particularly looking after Learning Management Systems used by Universities for delivering online course content etc.

I’ve recently moved away from mostly System Admin stuff to mostly Web Developer stuff and find myself writing a fair bit of PHP maintaining existing applications.

I’ve used Ruby and off for a couple of years, mainly for parsing data-sets and the usual Sysadmin type things. I hope by the end of this course my Ruby code will look more object-oriented and less like the imperative Perl code I’ve written for so many years. :)

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 7:35 am

I am confident that you will gain a lot of Ruby knowledge at RubyLearning. Ensure that you interact a lot at the forums and pick mentor Victor Goff’s mind!

boonkiat October 17, 2010 at 10:22 am

Hello World.

I am Boon Kiat from Singapore.

Actually, I’ve been always been a Rubyist but it’s only in 2010 that I really took the plunge.

I’m still very much the Java guy at the core.

Ruby to me is far more than Rails, but the ecosystem of really awesome minds coming up with terse, sensible ‘gems’ of code and taking fresh approaches at the problem at hand (developing apps for a dynamic alway-changing Web).

I’d like to shout out much more often – starting here – like many, I’ve so much to contribute and yet to do so.

Hopefully be a vocal part of the Rubyscape.

StrawManCodePants

Satish Talim October 17, 2010 at 10:53 am

You are lucky. Singapore has a booming Ruby/Rails market. Chang Sau Sheong is the man to be in touch.

Grzegorz Smajdor October 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm

My name is Grzegorz from Poland.
I work currently for QYPE Gmbh in Hamburg as an automation specialist.
Currently I am creating a framework for webtesting named “WatirCuke” (Cucumber + Webdriver). Details about application can be found in my github (github.com/gs/watircuke).

I would like to improve my Ruby skills thats why I would like to join RubyLearning :)

Satish Talim October 18, 2010 at 8:54 am

Welcome Grzegorz. Looking forward to interacting in the forums.

Pedro Pregueiro October 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Hello, my name is Pedro Pregueiro and I’m from Braga, Portugal but I’m currently working at Lisbon.

I work at Portugal Telecomunicações (PT), the biggest portuguese telecommunications company. I’ve heard about this course through José Carlos Monteiro who is my co-worker at PT.

I’ve been interested in Open source for a couple of years, and I’ve been learning Perl and Python on my own. I decided to take part in this course because it seems like a better way to learn and improve my programming skills.

Looking forward for the beginning of the course.
Pedro

Satish Talim October 18, 2010 at 8:57 am

Nice to hear that José Carlos Monteiro is your co-worker. We miss him a lot at RubyLearning.

vishal sodani October 17, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I am based in Mumbai. I have been programming for 8 years now (got into this field at the age of 27!!). I have worked mostly on Microsoft technologies but have explored Ruby, Rails, Django, Haskell, Clojure. My chess site, http://www.passionforchess.com, was developed in Django.

What I love most is learning to write better code, to get better in delivering software and mentor people. Since one year, I have been working as a freelancer.

Ruby was the first dynamic language I explored. And, it has been fun to hack code in Ruby.

Satish Talim October 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

Wow a chess site! We must play online chess someday. Now-a-days I use http://chesstweets.com/ to play chess.
Twitter Id is @IndianGuru

Narendra Sisodiya October 18, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hi ,

I am Narendra Sisodiya located in Pune.

I’ve started my career with .Net and other MS technologies. After spending more than a year on MS technologies, I moved to Ruby/ROR and decided to stick with it :)

Currently I am working as senior software engineer with Persistent System Ltd. and have executed numbers of projects on ROR. Also involved in mentoring fresher/students on Ruby/ROR.

Alvaro October 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I am Brazilian, job scheduling into a diverse company that develops small-scale thing.

I became interested in Ruby a few years when I saw its power.

Sree Lakshmi October 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Hi Sathish,

I live in Silicon Valley, California. Working as a QA engineer, doing front end and back end testing.

To begin with, I am not a very technical person. I have been working for the last 3 years in QA. I was working earlier as an automation engineer on QTP, but now trying to put myself into Ruby since the company where I work right now have all the automation using Ruby. I am still preparing myself to pull into automation using ROR. RubyLearning.org is a good start for me.

I must thank Victor Goff and all the other mentors who are dedicated and help us in figuring out our mistakes.

Joe Leo October 20, 2010 at 4:17 am

I am a software engineer living in NYC and working for a consulting company called Cyrus Innovation. I manage a team of 13 consultants at our biggest client. Since I still love to develop, I’ve managed to spend roughly 25% of my time performing managerial tasks and still keep about 75% to devote to programming. I also run a smaller consulting business that consists only of myself. I like to work with small startups that have great ideas and solid business plans to achieve their goals. I love the entire software development process, from interacting with business people to working with developers (more and less experienced than myself) to putting my nose down into difficult technical problems and arriving at robust, clean and well-tested solutions.

I am an XP developer, which has become a loaded term these days so let me just state my basic tenets of developing. I value pair programming (though I also solo at times). I am an avid devotee of TDD, and I value the state of my code bases over anything else. I do most of my work in Ruby on Rails, but I have experience in Java, C#, and Clojure, to varying degrees.

Rickybell October 22, 2010 at 5:56 am

I’m from Brazil/São Paulo.

For 8 years I have worked with many technologies like like PHP, JavaScript, jQuery and ASP/.NET and I had to work in several small businesses.

Now I am very interested to start work with RubyOnRails for new experiences and evolution.

Dan Barron October 27, 2010 at 2:05 am

My name is Dan Barron. I live and work on Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.

I’ve been programming for over 20 years now in using sorts of languages and technologies including VB/VBA/VB.NET, Java, C++/C#, HTML/CSS/XML, SQL, ASP/JSP on Windows and Unix. Also have some content management background, mostly working with Documentum.

Currently working for a medical professional society on their publications, web sites, and electronic products. I have just finished version 1.0 of my first Ruby application and I think I will be working on a Rails app soon.

I also do some independent consulting on the side.